Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yup

 Just the tell the story… sage advice I read in a book somewhere. The author recommended that we writer chant that whenever we sat at our computer...laptop...I Pad ...whatever...and set our hands to create yet another breathtaking work of fiction. A Pulitzer at least.  

If we want to entertain the reader, that is. 

You smile. I smile.   

Actually we want readers to lust after our books the way a coffee-holic gulps down a Starbuck's hot white chocolate mocha on the way to work.  Coffee. Chocolate. Yum.

Just tell the story...remember.

Uhhh. Right.

Personally those words are written on a heart shaped post-it hanging above my monitor. Can’t tell you how many times my blocked brain sort inspiration from them. 

Because when push comes to shove…after the titillating characterization, seat grabbing plotting, exposition sharpening, adjective paring and adverb deleting…all the things needed to make that manuscript shine brighter than a Macintosh red…there better be a rip roaring tale left.

<sigh>

I sure hope so.

1 comment:

  1. I hope so too, Norma. :)

    Yay! I'm your first follower. Enjoy the blogging world. It can be addictive.

    ReplyDelete